Skip to content Skip to main menu
- Sweet potatoes are available year-round in grocery store, with peak season being October to December.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
- A medium sweet potato with the skin contained four times the daily recommended intake of Vitamin A, a key nutrient in vision health, bone development and immune function.
- Sweet Potatoes are a good source of Vitamin C, manganese and fiber.
How to Select Sweet Potatoes:
- Look for small to medium sweet potatoes with firm, smooth and even-toned skin.
- Depending on the variety of sweet potato, the skin can range from bright red to rose colored to pale copper.
How to Store Sweet Potatoes:
- Store sweet potatoes in a cool, dark place like the pantry for up to 2 weeks. Keep them in a loosely covered bag to allow for air circulation.
- Do not refrigerate raw sweet potatoes, as doing so can alter their taste and flavor.
How to Prepare Sweet Potatoes:
- Prior to consuming, give sweet potatoes a light scrub under running water.
- Sweet potatoes do not need to be peeled and many of the vitamins in sweet potatoes are contained in the peel.
Fun Facts About Sweet Potatoes:
- Despite a physical similarity, yams and sweet potatoes are not even distantly related.
- George Washington farmed sweet potatoes on his Mount Vernon, Virginia farm.