Skip to content Skip to main menu
- Green beans are available year-round.
- The peak season for fresh green and wax beans is May through September.
Health Benefits of Green Beans:
- Green beans are an excellent source of fiber and Vitamin A. They’re also a good source of folates, Vitamin B6, thiamin, Vitamin C.
- Green beans are also a source of Vitamin K, iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese and potassium.
How to Select Green Beans:
- Look for green beans that are tender, long and stiff, but flexible. They should have a firm texture and “snap” when broken.
- Avoid limp green beans or those with tough skin.
How to Store Green Beans:
- Store unwashed green beans in a plastic bag or container in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to Prepare Green Beans:
- Wash green beans under running water and drain. Trim ends and cut to preferred size.
- To freeze green beans, steam for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool before placing them in freezer bags and storing them in freezer.
Fun Facts About Green Beans:
- Green beans produce white, pink or purple flowers which are usually pollinated by insects