Skip to content
Skip to main menu
Seasonality of Dragon Fruit:
- White flesh dragon fruit is available year-round, while the red flesh dragon fruit is in season from June to October.
Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit:
- Dragon fruit is an excellent source of Vitamin C and is rich in antioxidants.
- They also contain polyunsaturated (good) fatty acids, several B vitamins, lycopene, carotene, calcium and protein.
How to Select Dragon Fruit:
- Look for dragon fruit with a uniform pink color and without bruising, although scarring is normal.
- A ripe dragon fruit will yield slightly to pressure.
How to Store Dragon Fruit:
- Store dragon fruit unwashed in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Prepare Dragon Fruit:
- Wash dragon fruit before eating.vCut dragon fruit in half and scoop out insides.
- Dragon fruit is delicious to eat by itself or added to salsa, smoothies and salads.
Fun Facts About Dragon Fruit:
- Dragon fruit is an exotic cactus fruit that has a sweet and mildly acidic flavor, similar to watermelon, cactus pear and kiwi.
- The flesh of dragon fruit ranges from white to pink to magenta. All three types have tiny, edible black seeds.
- Dragon fruit is also known as strawberry pear or pitaya.
- Dragon fruit is native to the Americas, and have since been introduced to eastern and southern Asia, where the fruit is now cultivated extensively.