Skip to content Skip to main menu
- Beets are available year-round.
Health Benefits of Beets:
- Beets are high in immune-boosting Vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium and manganese.
- Beets also contain the B vitamin folate.
How to Select Beets:
- Select small to medium beets with firm, smooth skin and no soft spots or punctures.
- Beets with stems and leaves still attached are best since the greens will wilt long before the root. Looks for greens that aren’t wilted or mushy.
How to Store Beets:
- Store beets in the refrigerator with tops loose in an unsealed plastic bag. If kept from moisture, beets can last for several weeks or up to a couple of months.
- If your beets have stems attached, wrap them loosely in a damp paper towel and keep them in the crisper. Greens will keep 3-4 days.
How to Prepare Beets:
- Peel beets with a veggie peeler prior to cooking or roast the beets gently until they’re tender, then rub the skins off with a paper towel.
Fun Facts About Beets:
- Since the 16th century, beet juice has been used as a natural red dye. It was even used as a hair dye.
- Beets were used in ancient Rome for medicinal purposes.