Halloween is the perfect time of year to get the kids in the kitchen. It’s a great opportunity to show that Halloween “treats” can be more than just candy – they can be fruits and veggies with a fun spin! With so many fun and easy themed ideas floating around out there, the possibilities are endless. Here are a few we put together in our kitchen to celebrate the season.
- Candy Corn Skewers – Stack pineapple, mandarin oranges and marshmallows on a coffee stirrer or child-safe skewer to create the perfect sweet candy corn-themed treat.
- Spooky Spiders – For bigger kids (or with adult supervision), this spooky spider is made of grapes and raisins and held together by toothpicks.
- Pumpkins – Can’t get mush easier than this. Peel a mandarin orange and slide a slice of celery or green pepper into the center. Voila, pumpkin!
- Orange & Black Kebobs – These simple kebobs will get your family in the spirit. Peel mandarin oranges or clementines and quarter black grapes. Have the kiddos stack them on a coffee stirrer to make the perfect Halloween kebob.
- Monster Mouths – This is as simple as spreading peanut or sun butter on two slices of apple and using mini marshmallows for teeth. If you are feeling adventurous, add a strawberry slice for a tongue and mini chocolate chips for eyes.