Today’s guest blog posts comes from our friends at Avocados from Mexico.
Including fresh avocados in your Cinco de Mayo celebration is a delicious way to kick off summer celebrations. Whether you’re attending a Memorial Day parade or anticipating fireworks on Independence Day, firing up the grill is a great way to keep the kitchen cool and enjoy the summer.
Avocados are a great choice for salads, appetizers, entrees and desserts. They’re a delicious choice to boost fruit intake and add versatility to summer menus. Virtually the only healthy fruit with monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated or “good fats,” avocados are low in saturated fat, sodium-free and contain no cholesterol. One-third of a medium avocado (50g) has 80 calories and contributes nearly 20 vitamins and minerals, making it a healthy nutrient-dense choice. Include fresh Hass avocados in everyday healthy eating plans as a delicious, heart-healthy, whole food source of naturally good fats.
Here are some ideas:
Appetizers & Sides
- Fiesta Taco Dip (vegetarian) – What could be better to fiesta with than a bean and avocado dip? On the lighter side, offer guests cucumber, carrot or celery sticks and balance with corn tortilla or pita chips.
- Guacamole 3 Ways – Guacamole is great on it’s own as a dip or can be a decadent topping on burgers, tacos, franks or grilled meats or seafood. Experiment with your favorite additions, like mango, jalapenos or pomegranate arils or try these!
- Cheeseburger Bacon Bites – Ground turkey meatballs make these the perfect bite-sized treat topped with avocado, pickles, bacon, cheese and tomatoes.
- Avocado, Mozzarella & Tomato Skewers – Fresh tomatoes are sure sign of summer’s bounty and they’re delicious when paired with avocados and mozzarella. For summer picnics, beach parties and backyard pool fun, hand-held foods like these skewers make it easy to enjoy more fruits and vegetables.
- Avocado Potato Salad – Swap out the mayo with mashed ripe avocado to make this summertime favorite with an avocado-lovers twist!
- Superfood Green & Blue Salad – Fresh summer blueberries add the power of purple to this hearty kale (or substitute spinach) salad. Slivered almonds adds crunch and goat cheese adds a creamy, savory flavor to this salad dressed with a splash of honey-lime-mint dressing.
- Grilled Salmon Burgers with Avocado – Salmon burgers are a tasty grill-time alternative.
- Zesty Avocado Chicken Salad in Lettuce Cups – Rotisserie chicken mixed with avocados, lime juice, Dijon mustard, celery and green onions create the perfect crunch to this zesty chicken salad. Lettuce “cups,” make them easy to eat on-the-go and can be portioned accordingly for every member of the family.
- Mexican-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (vegetarian) – Corn, cilantro, jack cheese and pico de gallo-stuffed sweet potatoes make it a good time to fiesta!
- Coconut Avocado Popsicles (vegan) – Coconut milk and pineapple juice are the perfect tropical combination that make this a refreshing treat to enjoy at the beach, poolside or while watching fireworks.
- Berry Avocado Chocolate Mousse (vegan) – Sweetened with fresh berries and honey, this creamy avocado pudding is a sweet treat.