What is more comforting than mashed potatoes? How about Baked Mashed Potatoes loaded with cheese and broccoli, and baked into delicious mashed potato bites that have kids happily eating their vegetables for dinner?
Not many were more proud of their Irish heritage than my mother-in-law. She was a huge fan of all that is Irish, from being an active member of the local Irish club to attending monthly Irish dancing lessons.
Every St. Patrick’s Day the whole family would attend an Irish Mass followed by a brunch she helped organize. There are 6 children in my husband’s family, along with spouses and grandchildren. We had a group of 25 in attendance supporting her every year.
During the brunch, there was Irish singing, dancing, and lots of Irish food served. It was a memorable way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day to say the least. My mother-in-law is no longer with us, and how I miss her and our “Irish Grandma.”
As a way to continue her love of the Irish, every St. Paddy’s day I try to make the day fun for my kids.
This year Baked Mashed Potato Bites will be on the menu. They fit for a few reasons:
- They have a hint of green – the celebratory color of St. Paddy’s Day!
- What’s more Irish than potatoes?
I hope your kids enjoy them as much as mine did. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Mashed Potato Bites
Prep time: 5 min
Bake Time: 20 min
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup steamed chopped broccoli
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine mashed potatoes, eggs and cheese in medium bowl. Gently stir in broccoli. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Divide into 6 muffin tins for large bites, or 12 for smaller potato bites. Use mini muffin tin if desired.
- Bake 20 minutes. Serve immediately or freeze for later.