Summer has finally arrived! Besides the beautiful weather, I also love summer because of the celebrations of the season. Summer produce is at its peak as well, and I can’t wait to get back to the farmer’s market and pick up colorful fresh fruits and veggies of all kinds. This time of year I start to gravitate towards lighter meals rather than the traditional warm comfort food I’ve eaten all winter. That includes lightening up my desserts, too!
These Angel Food Cupcakes with Blood Orange Frosting are my kids’ favorite sweet treat right now. The cupcakes are so light and airy, and the frosting turns a beautiful light pink color from the fresh blood orange juice. Bonus, they’re really easy to make! These cupcakes are the perfect dessert for any other summer celebrations you might be having.
Angel Food Cupcakes with Blood Orange Frosting
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 5 eggs whites
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract, divided
- 4 oz. light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed blood orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper lines and set aside.
2. Whisk together flour and powdered sugar in medium bowl.
3. Beat egg whites and salt in separate large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until frothy. Add lemon juice and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar to bowl, a little at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in flour mixture to egg mixture, about 1/4 cup at a time, with a rubber spatula. Stir in 1 tsp. vanilla.
4. Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin tin. Bake 18 – 20 minutes, or until tops of cupcakes are lightly browned. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
5. To make the frosting, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Add yogurt, blood orange juice and 1 tsp. vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy. Pipe or spread the frosting onto each cooled cupcake.