This post is sponsored by the Watermelon Board. All opinions are our own.
Watermelon and summer pretty much go hand-in-hand. While watermelon is commonly thought of as a summer only fruit, it’s available year-round. This summer, we’re teaming up with our friends at the Watermelon Board to share healthy recipes, tips and more with you!
Health Benefits of Watermelon:
- Excellent levels of Vitamin A and C for optimal eye health and a boost in immunity
- Good source of Vitamin B6 to help your body produce antibodies, maintain nerve function and form red blood cells.
- Watermelon is 92% water and a great way to stay hydrated.
- Contains lycopene, an antioxidant carotenoid studied for its potential role in reducing the risk of heart disease, various cancers and protecting your skin from harmful UV rays.
We get a lot of questions asking how to pick the perfect fruit or veggie. For finding a good watermelon, it’s just 3 easy steps:
- Look for firm, symmetrical watermelons that are free from bruises, cuts or dents.
- Pick up the watermelon. A good one should be heavy for its size.
- Check the bottom, there should be a creamy yellow spot from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
10 Healthy Watermelon Recipes:
- Watermelon Strawberry Shake
- Berry Melon Bruschetta
- Watermelon Pizza Supreme
- Pomegranate Watermelon Pops
- Watermelon Crunch Salsa
- Splash of Fun Fruit Smoothie
- Sweet & Sour Cucumber Salad
- Summer Fruit Salad
- Layered Watermelon Popsicles
- Watermelon Jerky
For more information on watermelon including recipes, prep times, videos and more, visit Watermelon.org.