As I sent my girls off to their first day of school last week it hit me that next year I’ll be sending my oldest, Mia, off to high school next year.
It seems like only yesterday she was heading off to Kindergarten. And now I only have a year before I send her to high school. Yikes! Meanwhile, my youngest, Charli, is already a sassy high schooler trapped in a 3rd grader’s body.
Many of us parents have sent our little ones off to their first day of school this year, and the rest of us will over the next few weeks, and sighed relief at not having to come up with one more summer activity or camp to keep our kids busy. Now comes the fun part of nightly homework, busy schedules and lunch-packing duties.
One of the things I love about my job at Produce for Kids is that I get to create new recipes (often with the help of my girls) to help inspire other parents and show them healthy eating doesn’t have to be expensive or difficult.
I also love Power Your Lunchbox, where we encourage families eat a healthier lunch. Whether packing lunchboxes or hitting the school lunch line, teaching our kids to make healthy decisions is so important. When the school year starts, I have ambitions to make really awesome lunches every day. Then reality sets in after a few days and we get stuck in a sandwich rut.
I have to first say, there’s no shame in “boring” sandwich lunches! But, we hear from parents all the time that either their kids don’t like sandwiches, or they’re looking for ways to switch up the lunchbox outside of a sandwich.
Here are 34 non-sandwich lunchbox ideas that are easy, healthy and kid-friendly to help you (and me) get out of the sandwich rut:
1. Wonton Taco Cups from Produce for Kids
2. Whole Wheat Creamy Ranch Turkey Wrap from The Chef Next Door
3. BBQ Chicken Taquitos from Produce for Kids
4. Peanut Butter & Jelly Skewers from Holley Grainger
5. Apple Zucchini Mini Muffins from Produce for Kids
6. Lunchbox Pesto Tortellini from Real Mom Nutrition
7. Broccoli & Cheese Crustless Quiches from Produce for Kids
8. Customizable Pizza Kebobs from Mom to Mom Nutrition
9. Caprese Zoodle Salad from Produce for Kids
10. Caesar Pasta Salad with Chickpeas from Aggie’s Kitchen
11. Cheese & Bean Quesadillas from Produce for Kids
12. Frozen Pasta Salad from Cook the Story
13. Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad from Produce for Kids
14. Burrito Bites from Meal Planning Magic
15. Freezable Pizza Pockets from Produce for Kids
17. Taco Bento Box from Produce for Kids
18. Lunchbox Burrito Bowls from Momables
19. Protein Power Lunchbox from Produce for Kids
20. Salad Kebobs from A Mind”Full” Mom
21. Mac n Cheese Muffins from Produce for Kids
22. Apple Cheese Wraps from Weelicious
23. Banana Sushi Rolls from Produce for Kids
24. Parmesan Ranch Dip with Tortellini from Lemons for Lulu
25. Pizza Pasta Salad from Produce for Kids
26. Hummus Pita Pizza from Family Food on the Table
27. One-Pot Cheeseburger Mac from Produce for Kids
28. Asian Chopped Salad from Dash of Evans
29. Chinese Mandarin Pasta Salad from Produce for Kids
30. DIY Nachos from Produce for Kids
31. Chicken Zoodle Soup from Produce for Kids
32. Pizza Bagel Bites from Produce for Kids
33. Turkey Taco Salad from Produce for Kids
34. Savory Chicken & Rice Muffins from Produce for Kids