With peanut and nut allergies on the rise in recent years, many schools have issued a ban on nuts and nut butters in lunchbox and classroom snacks. While some ban only peanut butter, I’ve heard from an increasing number of people that anything resembling peanut has also been banned, including sun or soy butter.
I’ve lived with a nut allergy my whole life. Thankfully, that is not something my boy have to deal with. I understand the frustrations fellow parents have about not being able to send certain items in their kids’ lunchboxes to school, especially those with kids who will only eat a PB&J, but it’s important to note how severe and life-threatening a nut allergy can be.
If your school has gone nut free or you have a child with a nut allergy, here are 25 of our favorite nut-free lunchbox ideas for back to school:
- Turkey Veggie Sushi
- Wonton Taco Cups
- Savory Chicken & Rice Muffins (skip the trail mix on the side or opt for a nut-free trail mix)
- Kid-Friendly Lunchbox Empanadas
- 5-Ingredient Broccoli Grape Salad
- Freezable Pizza Pockets
- Alphabet Vegetable Soup
- Southwest Quesadilla & Pepper Boats Bento Box
- Cheesy Taco Pasta
- Apple Zucchini Mini Muffin Bento Box
- BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- Caprese Zoodle Salad
- Chicken Veggie Wraps
- Tuna Salad Stuffed Mini Pepper Boats
- 5-Minute Green Bean Vinaigrette Salad
- Easy Lunch Stackers Bento Box
- Broccoli & Cheese Crustless Quiches
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
- Turkey Hummus Pinwheels
- Kale & Chicken Pot Pies
- Mac n Cheese Muffins
- Packable Caesar Pasta Salad
- Pizza Bento Box
- Sandwich Kebobs
If you’re looking for alternatives to peanut butter, trail mixes, pesto and more, check out my previous post for Nut-Free Alternatives for Kids.
For more information or support for food allergies in children, visit http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/ or http://www.allergykids.com/. Also, check out Kid-e Tags, mom-invented emergency ID tags and safety products that quickly relay vital information to an adult, caregiver or medical personnel in an emergency. Great for kids with food allergies or medical conditions!
Take the Power Your Lunchbox Pledge to pack healthier lunchboxes this school year and get kid-friendly lunchbox ideas, easy tips and coupons. For every pledge taken, $1 will be donated to support Feeding America.