Raise your hand if you have kids who always want a snack, even when dinner will be ready in 10 minutes. Or if your busy schedule has you going from school to activities before heading home for dinner and you need a little something to hold kids over? I know the feeling. Lately, I’ve been keeping a batch of energy bites on hand to keep myself and my kids from “hangry” situations.
Energy bites are similar to granola bars, but in a smaller, bite-sized form. Usually made with some combination of oats, nuts or nut butters, dried fruit and similar ingredients, these homemade snacks are perfect for taking on the go this summer. Whether you’re heading out for a day at the park, beach or pool, hitting the road on a road trip, or jet setting off on vacation, energy bites are perfect way to keep hunger at bay.
My girls love to help mix these up and get a little messy by rolling them up into balls. If you have a nut allergy, opt for soy or sun butter in place of nut butters or replace nuts with seeds.
Here’s 20 kid-friendly energy bite recipes to keep handy at home for lunchboxes, quick snacks or an on-the-go breakfast:
- No-Bake Granola Bites from Produce for Kids
- 4-Ingredient Peanut Butter Balls from Create Kids Club
- Dark Chocolate Cherry No-Bake Bites from Mom to Mom Nutrition
- Strawberry Almond Oatmeal Bites from Aggie’s Kitchen
- Cranberry Almond Energy Bites from A Cedar Spoon
- Chocolate Almond Protein Energy Bites from Chocolate Slopes
- Cranberry Chocolate Walnut Energy Balls from Family Food on the Table
- Peanut Butter, Pretzel, Chocolate Chip Energy Bites from Healthy Delicious
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Apple Oat No-Bake Bites from My Kids Lick the Bowl
- Cranberry Pistachio Energy Bites from Gimme Some Oven
- No-Bake Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites from Domesticate Me
- Cinnamon Apple Energy Bites from Recipe Runner
- Lemon Energy Bites from The Lean Green Bean
- Dark Chocolate & Blueberry Energy Bites from The Creative Bite
- Raw Vegan Brownie Bites from Happy Healthy Motivated
- Key Lime Pie Energy Bites from Peas & Crayons
- No-Bake Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond Butter Energy Bites from Joyful Healthy Eats
- Strawberry Cheesecake Swirl Energy Balls from The Healthy Maven
- Pecan Pie Energy Bites from Gluten Free Vegan Pantry