- Pears can be found in most grocery stores year-round, with peak season being
Health Benefits of Pears:
- Pears are an excellent source of Vitamin C and fiber.
- They also contain potassium and antioxidants.
How to Select Pears:
- Check the neck: Apply gentle pressure to neck of the pear with your thumb. If it yields, it’s ripe.
How to Store Pears:
- Store unripe pears at room temperature until ripe. To speed up the ripening process, place pears in a paper bag at room temperature.
- Ripe pears can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Do not refrigerate unripe pears.
How to Prepare Pears:
- Always wash before eating.
- Pears can be eaten whole like an apple, sliced or chopped.
Fun Facts About Pears:
- Pears do not ripen on the tree. They’re harvested when they’re mature, not ripe. Pear also ripen from the inside out.
- There are over 3000 varieties of pears worldwide.
- The United States is one of the largest producers of pears in the world.