- Limes are in season year-round.
Health Benefits of Limes:
- Limes are excellent sources of Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, potassium, folate, flavonoids and limonene.
- The Limonene in limes has anti-cancer effects and help increase the level of enzymes that detoxify carcinogens.
How to Select Limes:
- Choose limes that are heavy for their size, give slightly when gentle pressure is applied and have a pleasant fragrance.
- The skin of a lime should be bright green with no wrinkling.
- Avoid limes that are too soft or have signs of mold.
How to Store Limes:
- Store limes at room temperature, away from sunlight, for a week or longer.
How to Prepare Limes:
- Always wash before slicing.
- Before juicing, roll a room-temperature lime under your palm to break down the cells inside the fruit that hold liquid. If a lime is especially hard, microwave it for 20 seconds. You should get 2 to 3 tablespoons of juice per fruit.
Fun Facts About Limes:
- For hundreds of years, sailors and explorers ate lemons or limes to prevent scurvy on long sea voyages. Scurvy was caused by a lack of Vitamin C.