Skip to content
Skip to main menu
- Lettuce is available year-round.
Health Benefits of Lettuce:
- Lettuce is an excellent source of Vitamin A, B-Complex vitamins, like thiamin and Vitamin B6, and the phytonutrient B-Carotene.
- Lettuce is also a good source of folates, Vitamin C and Vitamin K.
- It also contains good amounts of minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium, which are very essential for body metabolism.
How to Select Lettuce:
- Choose a head of lettuce that’s healthy looking with fresh, clean outer leaves and compact inner leaves.
- Avoid lettuce that is wilted or with brown spotted leaves.
How to Store Lettuce:
- Refrigerate lettuce in plastic bag for up to 1 week.
How to Prepare Lettuce:
- Rinse and dry lettuce before chopping.
Fun Facts About Lettuce:
- Iceberg lettuce acquired its name from the method by which it was shipped. It was packed in ice for shipping.
- Americans consume 30 pounds of lettuce per person each year.
- Most of the romaine consumed in the United States is grown in Florida