Skip to content
Skip to main menu
- Honeydew melon is in peak season from August to October
Health Benefits of Honeydew Melon:
- Honeydew melons are rich in Vitamin C, potassium and B Vitamins such as thiamine and niacin.
- Containing about 90% water, honeydew melon can help keep you hydrated.
How to Select Honeydew Melon:
- Look for honeydew melons with a waxy rind. The melon should feel heavy for its size and the surface should give slightly to pressure, bouncing back quickly when pressure is released.
- Avoid melons with a fuzzy rind.
How to Store Honeydew Melon:
- Store honeydew melons at room temperature.
- For cut melon, store in plastic container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
How to Prepare Honeydew Melon:
- Be sure to wash your melon thoroughly before cutting, so you don’t carry any surface bacteria into the edible melon flesh
- Grab a knife and cut your melon in half, making sure to cut through the stem area.
- Remove the seeds and cut melon in wedges.
Fun Facts About Honeydew Melon:
- Cavaillon, a town in Provence, France, considers itself the world capital of melons.
- The ancient Egyptians regarded the honeydew as sacred and it was only reserved for society’s elite.
- A less common type of honeydew has an orange-colored flesh.