- Cherries are in season May through August.
Health Benefits of Cherries:
- Cherries full of antioxidants, contain melatonin for a good night’s sleep, and help fight inflammation and pain linked to arthritis.
- Cherries are a good source of Vitamin C,
- Cherries also contain fiber, Vitamin A, calcium, protein, potassium and iron.
How to Select Cherries:
- Look for shiny, firm cherries with green stems attached, an indicator of freshness.
- Avoid choosing soft cherries with major bruises or blemishes.
How to Store Cherries:
- Avoid washing prior to storage, as moisture can be absorbed where the stem meets the fruit and lead to splits or spoilage. Store cherries unwashed and uncovered in the coldest part of your refrigerator.
- Avoid storing cherries near strong-smelling foods like onions or garlic as cherries can take on the odor of these foods.
How to Prepare Cherries:
- Wash cherries with cold water just before eating.
- Be careful of the pit!
Fun Facts About Cherries:
- The cherry fruit is part of the Rosaceae family which also includes almonds, peaches, apricots and plums
- Cherries are a good source of melatonin and have been found to help with jet lag. Drinking tart cherry juice before bed can increase total sleep time and quality.
- Check out our behind-the-scenes tour of the Chelan Fresh orchards!