Skip to content
Skip to main menu
- Broccoli is available year-round
Health Benefits of Broccoli:
- Broccoli is an excellent source of Vitamin K, Vitamin C, chromium and folate, and a very good source of dietary fiber, pantothenic acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, manganese, phosphorus and choline.
How to Select Broccoli:
- Look for broccoli stalks about 4 – 6 inches wide, with tight heads and a rounded dome.
- Tops should be deep green, tightly closed buds and have stalks that are crisp.
- Avoid broccoli that is limp or rubbery.
How to Store Broccoli:
- Wrap unwashed broccoli in plastic wrap or in a plastic bag. Store in the vegetable drawer of your refrigerator up to 5-7 days.
How to Prepare Broccoli:
- Wash broccoli before preparing.
- Broccoli can be roasted whole or cut into pieces for sauteeing, steaming, roasting, cooking or eating raw.
Fun Facts About Broccoli:
- The word broccoli is derived from the Italian word broccolo, meaning the flowering top of a cabbage. Thomas Jefferson imported broccoli seeds from Italy to plant at Monticello.