Fall brings an abundance of squash – from butternut to spaghetti – and all have a unique and delicious flavor. Add some zest to baked spaghetti squash by stuffing it with a ground beef and veggie filling for one tasty dish.
Photography by Christine Pittman in partnership with Produce for Kids.
Simple Beef-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 2 larges spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 Little Bear Brand® Vidalia® sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz.) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out and discard seeds. Brush with olive oil and place flesh-side-down in large baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until softened.
- Meanwhile, heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef, pepper, onion and garlic. Cook 5-7 minutes, or until beef is cooked through. Drain and add tomatoes, salt and Italian seasoning. Let simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and shred with fork. Add beef mixture to squash, top with cheese and bake 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Calories 313
- Fat 15g
- Protein 28.5g
- Carbohydrates 16g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugar 6.5g
- Sodium 422mg
- Calcium 534mg
- Iron 4mg