Get a hearty dose of veggies first thing in the morning with these breakfast stuffed peppers. They're filled with veggies and packed with protein for a filling breakfast any day of the week.
Photography by Christine Pittman in partnership with Produce for Kids.
- 2 bell peppers, seeded, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 tomato, seeded, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup baby kale
- 4 larges eggs
- 2 tablespoons 1% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange pepper halves in 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat; add onion and cook 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, bacon and kale, and cook 2-3 minutes. Spoon vegetables into pepper halves.
- Whisk eggs and milk in small bowl until well blended. Pour evenly over vegetable mixture in pepper halves.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven, top peppers with cheese and return to oven. Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top each pepper with 2 Tbsp. salsa.
1/2 cup roasted sweet potatoes
- Calories 435
- Fat 8.24g
- Protein 15.14g
- Carbohydrates 4g
- Fiber 7.09g
- Sodium 541mg
- Calcium 820mg
- Iron 6.15mg
- *Nutritional information is for complete meal with suggested sides