Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
A holiday classic with a twist: serve veggies with turkey for extra nutritional power. The paired green bean casserole is a healthier spin on the cream-based classic with less fats and nutrient-rich almonds.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, sliced
- 1/8 cup cashews, chopped
- 1 boneless turkey breast
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat; add onions, spinach, mushrooms, thyme, parsley, celery and cashews; cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Insert knife into side of turkey breast and create pocket in the middle. Stuff breast with vegetable mixture.
- Return skillet to heat; add turkey and cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Transfer turkey to baking dish and bake 30-45 minutes, or until an internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
- Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Calories 630
- Fat 21g
- Protein 42g
- Carbohydrate 69g
- Sodium 282mg
- Fiber 9g
- Cholesterol 107mg
- Calcium 45% DV
- Vitamin A 37% DV
- Vitamin C 99% DV
- Iron 23% DV
- *Nutritional information is for complete meal with suggested sides
Green Bean Casserole
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted until golden
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in large saucepot; add green beans and cook uncovered, 4-5 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat butter in skillet over medium heat; add garlic and onion, and cook 1-2 minutes. Add salt, pepper and half-and-half, and simmer 7 minutes, or until half-and-half is reduced slightly.
- Toss half-and-half mixture with green beans and top with almonds.