An apple a day keeps the doctor away! One medium apple delivers a powerful punch including one-fifth of your daily intake of dietary fiber and no fat, sodium or cholesterol. Apples also contain a prebiotic called pectin, which provides food for the good bacteria found in your digestive system.
Apples are a big dessert fruit. And while we do love apple desserts, there are some many other yummy ways to eat apples every day. Today, we’re teaming up with the New York Apple Association to bring your 7 delicious ways to include apples into your daily routine.
- Smoothies: Sweeten up your favorite smoothie by including fresh apples and start the day off on the right foot! This New York Apple Smoothie combines classic flavors like apple and cinnamon, or go green with this Super Green Smoothie.
- Snacking: When afternoon hunger hits, skip the bagged snacks and grab a delicious apple instead. Pair with peanut butter or this Caramel Maple Yogurt Dip for dipping or thinly slice and bake for crunchy Apple Chips.
- Salads: Add some crunch to salads! This New York Apple Slaw Salad with Sweet & Sour Cider Dressing will be the hit at potlucks. Or pair with grilled chicken for this Chicken Crunch Salad.
- Sandwiches: Thinly sliced apples make a great addition to your grilled cheese for a new spin. Pair apples, kiwi and almond butter for these Fruity Pita Sandwiches, or add chopped salad to tuna salad for these delicious Apple & Tuna Pinwheels.
- Soups: Apples add a touch of sweetness to savory soups. Warm up with a bowl of this Roasted New York Apple & Squash Soup on a chilly night.
- Breakfast Toppings: Top French toast, pancakes or waffles with apples for an extra dose of fiber in the morning. Try this Apple & Pear French Toast or Whole Grain Waffles with Spiced Apples for a breakfast kids will love.
- Dinners: Pork chops and apples go hand-in hand. This recipe for Pork Chops and Cinnamon Apples will have you house smelling amazing! Get creative with Taco Tuesday and make these Apple Fajitas for a whole new flavor your family will love. Or revamp burger night with these tasty Apple-Turkey Burgers with Cranberry-Apple Salsa.
For more information about New York Apples, including apple varieties, recipes, tips, nutrition information and more, visit nyapplecountry.com.