A few months ago, my family and I moved from the West Coast to the East Coast. It was a very big move that involved a very long road trip. Two cars, two kids, and two weeks later, we made it to the East Coast. I found the key to providing my kids with healthy snacks on the road is planning.
Several days before we hit the road, I like to make a list of all the foods we need. That way, I can pack a bag in the car that is organized with variety of snacks. Whether your road trip is long or short, here are 10 travel snack ideas for the summer:
- Trail Mix: This is one of my favorites. Trail mix is easy to make and stays fresh for several days. This Pistachio-Chip Trail Mix is my go-to recipe.
- Packable fresh fruit and veggies: Bananas, packaged sliced apples, and baby carrots are perfect for on-the-go.
- Sandwiches: Any type of nut butter sandwich will travel well. We love peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, or almond butter with jelly. I like to cut the sandwiches in fours for easy eating.
- Dried Fruit: We like to buy dried fruit without added sugar. This is a great way to get fruit servings and not worry about messes or the fruit going bad. Raisins, mangos, apricots, and apple rings are our favorite dried fruits.
- Pretzels: Pretzels are a favorite because they travel easy and are very tasty.
- Granola Bars and Homemade Fruit Leather: I love making these No Bake Granola Bites or Fruity Fun Rolls Ups for easy on-the-go snacks.
- String Cheese and Whole Wheat Crackers: A convenient way to get protein and whole grains in on the road.
- Plain Popcorn: My kids love having popcorn as a snack. It’s healthy and adds variety to their diet.
- Muffins: These Apple Pumpkin Muffins are delicious. They can be made ahead, frozen, and then thawed at room temperature for a quick and easy snack.
- Apple Sauce Pouches: We love applesauce pouches. It’s a great way to get a fruit serving in without making a mess in the car.
For more travel snacks, visit our pinboard!